Monday, March 16, 2009

Doodle for Google

Jack Watterson
Doodle For Google Self Assessment
1. Design #1: “Black to Green”


#2- "Music for the World"

2. Theme for #1- I wish for the world that the environment will improve from its current state, and we can have a green earth again.
Theme for #2 - I wish that the whole world can have the gift of music in their lives.

3. One way I improved my first design using peer feedback was with the plants in #1. There was overwhelming feedback that said although it was a good piece, I needed to make the Google logo more prominent. I did this by putting the tall grass behind the Google text, and in front of the tree. This makes the Google logo stand out much more and overall improves the piece very much.

4. One important thing I learned was how to use the wide variety of custom brushes that are included in the Photoshop program. This is important to me as a design student because it will be a very useful tool to use in future works. Another important thing that I learned was how to clean up the edges of letters and images (make them smoother). This is important because it will make my future designs look much neater and more professional. One last important thing I learned was how to become more efficient. I know that I have said this in the past, but now I will able to complete designs quicker. With more spare time after completing the initial design, I will be able to fine tune my designs much better in the future.

5. Design #1- 3.5. I feel the first design deserves a 3.5 because although most of the design works very well, it appears to me that the tree is a bit out of place, or not very well done. I do feel, however, that the use of the gradient tool to make the letters go from black to green is an excellent aspect of this work. Also, I feel that the tall grass in the background adds a lot to the design, without causing there to be too much going on. Overall, this is a successful design that could have used a little more fine tuning.

Design #2: 4. I feel as though design #2 deserves a 4 because it is overall a highly successful piece. The bass and treble clef are creatively integrated into the Google logo, and they improve the design by making the theme much more clear. Also, the two O’s being on different levels give the impression of them being different notes in the music, which I think is a good creative touch. One minor flaw that I wish I could have thought of something for is the second G, although that is not a glaring issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment